miércoles, 12 de diciembre de 2012

Run at least 10 minutes a day, and you'll feel better than ever

At first sight, 10 minutes might seem an amount of time not worthy to put your shoes on. That is true, only if you don't do it periodically. And that is the negative part of it: you will have to do it everyday. But, at the same time, it is also the positive part: running everyday will soon become a daily routine, and in a few days, it will not require a great effort. Maybe sometimes you will feel a little bit lazy. Just that.

It is a fact that starting up training is the worst part of it. That's why once you have made the decision, most of the days it won't be just 10 minutes, but 15, 20 or whatever. And what if it is raining or cold? You will barely get wet! At least during those 10 minutes you will run free of anything else...

It might seem to you that running 10 minutes will mean nothing at all. Stop and think about it, and then calculate, how long, 1 mile, 1,5 miles, 2 miles,... and how many days, weeks, months,... Soon you will achieve a great amount of miles to add to your daily training. 10 minutes a day:

- at a pace of 9 min/mile, are approximately 32 miles a month, or almost 380 miles a year.
- at a pace of 7min 30sec/mile, are around 38 miles a month, or 455 miles a year.
- at a pace of 6 min/mile, are more than 45 miles a month, or 560 miles a year.

And this is the minimum guaranteed! Do you still think it is not worthy of it?

On the other side, who does not have at least 10 minutes a day to do something likeable, healthy, relaxing,...? In other words, who can not dedicate himself or herself, his or her physical and mental health, 10 minutes a day?

Besides, you will see how your muscular tone will considerably increase, since your body will be always ready to exercise. Moreover, you will run progresively faster.

If you think it is gonna be hard, just reset your day counter, and keep it up the first three weeks. You will see, the more days, 10, 15, 20, 30,..., the easier to go out running, just because you will not want to reset your day counter, and will set immediate goals: 50 days, 75 days, 100 days,... Soon you will start to count weeks, months, one year, and think: "during this last year I have done something I like everyday, no matter where I was, the time, the weather or anything else...".

If it is hard at the begining, run as soon as possible, or set your day counter along with someone who might support and motivate you to continue with it. After a few days, it will go easier, and the day will come when your body will need it, when you schedule your day so that it will be natural for you to have those 10 minutes for your daily run.

Then, add 5 minutes of stretching. It will become the perfect day.

Everyday since 2011, November 2nd I have put on my shoes and run, I have felt free, I have tasted the wind, my breath, the cold air of that night at 12 when someone told me, no, you are not going out running now, are you? and with half a smile I tightened my shoelaces.

My feet have stepped on the streets of Murcia, Melilla, Madrid, Cartagena, Elche, Malaga, Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Pamplona, Las Palmas,...

I have left my footprint on the mountains in Sierra Nevada, on the paths in the french Britain, on the sands in Omaha Beach, in Capbreton,...

I have run with David (a lot of miles), with Teresa, Steve, Manolo, with my girls by my side on their bikes, with Jean Pierre in San Javier, with Carlos and Toño, with Javi supporting me in La Ruta de las Fortalezas, with my dogs Danko y Troy,...

406 days, by now, where I have always had at least 10 minutes completely of mine.
When will you reset your day counter?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario